Maldives Digital Library has been officially launched
The general objective of the Project is to assist libraries of the Maldives in materializing automation of library services, thereby improving the overall service provision within and among the libraries.
The specific objectives of the Project are:
- To computerise the cataloguing and circulation functions for better efficiency in providing value added library services.
- To develop computerised Online Public Access Catalogues (OPAC) that can be searched by the public from remote terminals.
- To computerise the circulation services of the libraries so that checking in and out (issuing/circulation), renewing and holding services can easily and efficiently be handled with sufficient managerial records being generated.
- To lead to the creation of a union catalogue of the Maldives Libraries that can facilitate searching of library holding across all the libraries, thereby leading to resource sharing and interlibrary loan systems.
- To facilitate the creation of digital library collections accessible through a web portal.